This recipe got rave reviews at the Carpenter=s Way Baptist Church Christmas brunch. The red and green peppers make it perfect for Christmas morning!
Servings 9 servings
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2/3 cup diced green onions
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 7 1/2 cups 1-inch Italian bread cubes
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 9 large eggs
- 2 2/3 cup milk
- 1 /2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
Saute onions in hot oil in a skillet until tender; stir in bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, 10 minutes.
Spread half of bread cubes in lightly greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Top with half of vegetable mixture and sprinkle with 1 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and half of Parmesan cheese.. Repeat layers. Whisk together eggs and next 5 ingredients; pour over strata. Cover and chill 8 hours. Remove from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 15 minutes . Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes or until set.