Indonesian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng)
inspired by Chef Henkel, Johnson and Wales University
Servings 4 servings
wok with utensils
- 3 eggs beaten
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup raw chicken breast sliced thin
- 1/2 cup small shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup celery leaves and young stems cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 green onions cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups cooked rice cold
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sweetened soy sauce or to taste
Cook the rice ahead of time and cool.
Fry the eggs in one tablespoon oil to make a flat omelet. Allow to cool and slice into thin strips.
Put the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large wok or frying pan. Heat and saute the pepper and garlicd for one minute. Add the celery and green onions and saute briefly. Add the chicken and shrimp and stir-fry until the shrimp turns pink. Add the rice, sweetened soy sauce and salthe and heat thoroughly. Garnish with egg strips and serve immediately.
Meat substitutions: ham, deli ham works really well and is quicker. Green bell pepper can be substituted for the celery.